2827 Lincolnway East

Mishawaka, Indiana 46544

Telephone:  (574) 255-1776

Text:  (574) 400-5292 (law2)

Fax:  (574) 255-2341


In every case, we will treat our clients with respect and work hard to achieve the best results

Income Tax


“The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax” - Albert Einstein, physicist

At GRINER & COMPANY, ATTTORNEYS AT LAW, we have completed and filed thousands of federal and state tax returns. Every year we assist individuals, families, and small businesses. We have the ability to electronically file your returns. We can complete tax returns for any state in America.

Our goal is to file your tax returns efficiently, accurately, and in a way that maximizes your tax refund or minimizes your payment. We also want to minimize your headache - you don’t have to review all the complex forms and detailed records because we will do it for you.

Many people think that having a lawyer complete their taxes will be too expensive but actually the fees charges at GRINER & COMPANY, ATTORNEYS AT LAW are generally lower than those charged by many national tax return preparation companies.

We do no accept walk-ins but we have many flexible appointments (with some evening and weekend hours) and drop offs are always welcome. Please call or email today for more information.

For general information, see our Frequently Asked Questions below. Also, the IRS has a very informative website: www.irs.gov.

For individuals and families, the IRS has a very helpful publication called Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. You can find this publication online at:



Q: How can i check on the status of my refund?

A: Go to www.irs.gov and find a link for “Where’s my refund” or check refund status. The website will ask you to provide some information to confirm your identity and will inform you of the status of your tax return and refund.

Q: Can I get the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

A: Generally, to qualify for the EITC you must earn income (income from work, not investment income) and must have a relatively low income for the size of your family. Some of the details are explained above. For more information, go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov and sear for EITC.

Q: Who can I claim as a dependent?

A: Generally, in order to claim a dependent, the person must be a “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” and three tests must be satisfied: 1) Dependent taxpayer test, 2) Joint return test; and 3) Citizen or resident test. All of these tests can get complicated but basically the person has to be related to you, you must not be someone else’s dependent, your dependent must not be filing a joint return with someone else; and your dependent must live in America.

Q: Can I file as head of household?

A: Generally, you may claim head of household filing status on your tax return only if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent(s) or other qualifying individuals.

Q: I had a real estate foreclosure, will I owe taxes?

A: Under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, taxpayers generally can exclude income from the discharge of debt on their principal residence or mortgage restructuring. This exception does not apply to second homes, vacation homes, or investments. In some cases, you may be able to file an amended tax return for your previous tax years.


Q: How can I check the status of my refund?

A: Go to http://www.in.gov/dor/4339.htm

Q: Do I have to file an Indiana income tax return?

A: You must file an Indiana individual tax return if:

1. You lived in Indiana and received income greater than certain exemptions

2. You lived outside Indiana and received income from Indiana. Indiana exemptions are generally $1,000 for each exemption claimed on your federal tax return plus $1,000 for each person age 65 or older and $1,000 for each person who is legally blind.






2827 Lincolnway East  Mishawaka, IN 46544  |  Telephone:  (574) 255-1776  |  Text:  (574) 400-5292 (law2)  |  Fax:  (574) 255-2341

Gary Griner@GrinerLaw.com

Copyright 2017 GrinerLaw.com / Site By CW Productions


The information contained within this website is not legal advice.  To obtain legal advice you must consult with an attorney at GRINER & COMPANY, ATTORNEYS AT LAW.  The material in this website is only for information purposes and may not be up to date.  Nothing in this website is intended to create an attorney-client relationship.  GRINER & COMPANY, ATTORNEYS AT LAW are licensed to practice law only in the State of Indiana.

The National Trial Lawyers